Post-Pixel - Leandra Bourdot


For my piece, I decided to bring the campus dialogue over the Pixels into a physical form. I wrapped myself in white cloths (to the effect of some combination of blank canvas and toga party) and stationed myself between Eickhoff dining hall and the new library with paints, chalk pastels, sharpies, mustard, scissors, an exacto knife and wires, and instructions to "take charge of on-campus public art: pose, paint and otherwise modify to your art's content." The idea stemmed from one of the prominent complaints about the pixels - students were upset that they had no say in the selection of the piece - and the subsequent vandalism. (Ironically, in the course of this performance, I too was emblazoned with the letters of Sigma Pi.)
I stayed outside from 12 pm to 2:30 pm, allowing time for several class changes. The piece was greeted with a variety of responses. A surprising number of people thought I was a statue and actually screamed when I invited them to contribute to the piece, several were baffled or sarcastic; but I myself was surprised by the number of complete strangers who were enthusiastic, even gleeful, at the opportunity to express themselves in this manner. A good deal of it stemmed from my surrender of autonomy in the piece. I did not move from poses I was placed in until re-posed, and people were free to do literally anything they could think of (much of which turned out to be delighted scribbling on my face.)
The last four photographs were taken at 2:30, at the end of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment