Communist Manifesto - Amy Lu

The Communist Manifesto, written by Communists of various nationalities, came up with a well thought plan, complete with attacks and counterattacks. I found more information in these few pages than the whole Marx for Beginners book. The second chapter reinforces Marx’s reach into all parts of society today such as philosophy, modern issues such as racism, education, politics, economics, etc. These were some of the things I do not remember seeing in the Marx for Beginners book. Although I am more informed; I still find it difficult to state strong opinions about how I feel about communism since it carries a different connotation in the world today (one that is more synonymous with words like tyranny and dictatorship); but it does seem to sound pretty thorough upon reading it. I still find the capitalist system very prevalent (at least in the US), but there have been strides to counteract this. At least in business, companies are more aware of their responsibilities, both morally and to their community in not continually and increasingly outsourcing.

If there is one thing about this reading that I do not agree with, it is the idea that national differences are vanishing with more and more connections. I still believe that the deep seated culture history, rituals and beliefs are as strong as ever. I think that what is increasing is the understanding of cultures and ethnicities rather than the vanishing of them. With understanding, there are sometimes spikes of antagonism when beliefs are not compatible, but overall I do think antagonism is slowly vanishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment