Whitney Museum-Danielle Inducci

The museum trip to the Whitney was very enlightening. All the different artists exhibited in this museum of American art was a great collaboration of artists work today. Georgia O’Keefe has been one of my favorite artists since I started drawing. I found her exhibition “Abstraction” very pleasing. Her use of color mixed with the surface of her work is so beautiful. The images are so smooth, crispy and defined. O’Keefe’s drawings are abstract representations of landscapes, flowers, rocks and animal bones. Its abstract I’m drawn to her work mainly because aesthetically I find it beautiful. I would be content just staring at her paintings all day.
Dan Graham was one of the big exhibits to be seen that day. His exhibition titled “Beyond” was very unique. I was hesitant at first to see his work, but his exhibition surprised me. When I saw his work I actually found it very intriguing. I really enjoyed his playful use of mirrors and how he created illusions with the large sculptures. I enjoyed watching other people walk through the pieces and seeing the reactions of the viewers. One of the museum security workers asked me to step inside one of his pieces called “Triangular Solid With Circular Inserts (Variation E)”. This piece was not only visually appealing but it was entertaining. When you enter the sculpture, you walk through the round circular entrance. You stand there as the viewers walk around. There are mirrors on each side of the triangle. However when looking through the mirror on one side I disappear completely. This creates a perplexing situation for the audience, because the person inside the triangle is still there and actually reappears when viewing it from the opposite side. The exhibitions were successful in capturing the audiences’ attention and creating work with meaning and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment