Whitney Museum-Sophia Liu

Whitney Museum of American Art
“Dan Graham: Beyond,”

Our class trip to the Whitney Museum was very rewarding, and I am really glad that I was able to view Dan Graham’s exhibition in person, versus merely reading about it on art magazines. Because I have always been interested in architectural forms and their explorations in space, I was actively drawn to Graham’s large installation pieces, much more so than his videos. Upon viewing his pieces, I immediately thought of the recent article I read in Architectural Record about the recent ‘trend’ among architects to use architecture (not interior design) to create spatial experience; and specifically the recent project done by SANAA- Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa-team on the Derek Lam shop in SoHo. This connection was made in particular because of the usage of glass/mirror as structural partitions.

By using translucent /reflective glass, mirrors, and videos, Graham artfully creates minimalistic spatial experiences that implore us to question the relation between self vs. image, subject vs. object. Among all his works, I find Opposing Mirrors and Video Monitors on time Delay most fascinating. It was very surprising to see my presence in a space that I was no longer occupied carrying out a past action. Once I realized what the project is about I couldn’t resist but to interact with the space longer than I should (enough for the security guard to cast me warning glances). I think this is what makes Graham’s works so effective, which is their ability to draw the viewers/the viewed-self/ and the spectator into one shared space; and the awkwardness, or the playful interaction that results from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment