Artist Statement -Liz Marchuk

My work is a study of the nature around me. I walk the thin line of reality and non-reality. I have learned more from my failures then my successes so I journey each path with a large learning curve.
I feel most comfortable using materials from the earth. My most recent venture is wood. I am drawn to its ever surprising beauty. Trees standing alone or in a group provide so many things, from shelter to shade, fruit to oxygen. I have drawn and photographed them, sculpted them from wire, covered them with hand made paper, and gone as far as to cover one with tile. Now I have started to approach them on a different level. I strip them of their covering and expose their inner beauty. I work from shapes that surround me in my everyday life. Shapes I know by heart, that I can see with my eyes closed. I want for you to be able to feel the beauty with your eyes closed and see the shapes that form my world.

1 comment:

  1. Its a very good statement. The only thing I would sugguest is to bring up some of the memorable pieces you worked on and the things you expierenced when making them. Also maybe include peoples reactions to your works of art.

    ReplyDelete