Keith Croshaw - External Sourcing

Keith Croshaw

External Sourcing

External sourcing is very interesting to think about, because we all really use it unless we are focusing on explicitly not trying to. The article starts out with relating external influences to radio frequencies, which I feel applies very well. In modern times all sorts of sources that artists can use, to our advantage, or disadvantage overwhelm us. The article also mentions how we can tune our proverbial radios into and out of things as we wish to see or hear them. Happenstance is a wonderful thing that the article mentions, which I feel very akin to, since much of my photos are shot as I stumble upon them.

Inspiration is indeed a two-way road, the article hits a great point that it is not always a pleasant thing that inspires you, but it does nonetheless. The writer then talks about Jan Harrison’s animal works, which is interesting to me because those works were also mentioned in the internal sourcing reading. It really makes me realize that pretty much all of every artist’s work combines both, but usually it leans towards external sourcing. These two articles in conjunction have really made me think about how I approach my work with my ideas, and not to rely so heavily on external sourcing.

1 comment: