Jess Adamitis Reading 2 Response

Out of the three artists that had their inspirations described I connected with Jan Harrison the most. I enjoy that she doesn’t use outside sources for myths to base her art on. To me this makes her art a pure look into her imagination and ideas. From what I was reading about her art it sounded like she created make believe monsters in order to connect our minds to the fact that we are also animals and have animal like urges. However I did not really see that in some of her art.

In some pieces it this message was very apparent. The charcoal work “Now You Can See Me” I believe had a very strong message about our connection with animals. However in some of her other works, particularly the ones of primates, I really didn’t see much of the connection. Although I suppose it could be argued that it is evident because of the connection humans have to primates. To me however I feel a sense of surreal ghost dream when I see the monkey paintings. I particularly enjoy “The Corridor Series” she does of primates. I seem to feel as those these primates are majestic and solitary animals when in fact I know that they are very social organisms.

I enjoy that Jan Harrison and I both share a common interest of surreal and animal-like creatures and their relation to humans. I don’t often get to see different styles outside of those similar to my own. It is refreshing and helps change my outlook on the types of art I can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment