External Sourcing- Allison Senak

The readings showed a cross-section of the sheer variety of things that can inspire artists externally, whether its cultural symbols, art history, social strife, or locations of historical importance in the history of mankind. But the manner in which the artists reference these external sources is not always readily apparent; rather, they often use these sources as a starting point for creating work that transcends the scope of their original inspiration. I noticed that some of the artists’ work drew inspiration from a vast array of different sources, while other artists focused more on all the aspects of one particular event or category of events. Personally, I felt the work of the artists who were influenced by multiple external sources were more difficult to understand at first, while the other artists came across as more focused in their work. However, after examining all the works more closely I could understand and appreciate both approaches.
I felt that I had an easier time with this set of readings, perhaps because I tend to look outside of myself for inspiration on most occasions. I especially was interested by Grieger’s practice of looking to “commonplace experiences and normal modes of perception” and image-collecting, since I feel I often use this as inspiration as well. It has gotten me thinking of how I can transform my own external inspiration into meaningful artwork to myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment