Sourcing Inspiration - Nick Biewer

Inspiration for a person’s art comes from many places and that is what this article tries to break down. It divides inspiration into two main groups, internal and external. Internal inspiration comes from feelings inside about the things you have went though or the emotions you’ve felt. External inspiration comes from what you view in the world and how you interpret it into art. For Pipilotti Rist, her inspirations were internal, depicting dreams and emotions. Julian LaVerdiere uses more external sources, such as 9/11, to help develop her works.
I am not sure which of these groups I fit into more. My work seems to be just things that come to my mind. I have a harder time trying to sit and look at things for inspiration; I just have to wait till I come up with one I like on my own. However, some of my works take ideas from outside sources, such as music. So I suppose I do some of both, but need to work on figuring out what it is that really gets me creating so I don’t have to wait around for every good idea.

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    One suggestion for you to consider for the semester is that you can actually activate your imagination (instead of 'waiting' for inspiration).

    How to activate your imagination becomes the question--- what triggers your thoughts - what is the pattern? Looking at this is important information for you about your own process....and also a method or strategy for you to keep inspiring yourself.

    Important to know that music plays a part of that process for you... what happens if you listen to music you don't know? Or must it be a song already in your vocab?

    ReplyDelete