The Uncanny: Allison Senak

One of the most noteworthy topics Freud covers in “The Uncanny” is the effect of the doubt associated with life-like figures that appear as human, such as automata, dolls, and wax figures. I immediately thought of the general public’s fascination with wax figure museums filled with extremely and eerily life-like replicas of celebrities. It also made me think of how relevant this idea is in light of technological advances in artificial intelligence and robotics. Machines are such a prevalent component of modern society, and it is only a matter of time before humanoid machines will be able to replicate human behavior to the point of creating doubt.

Concerning the way the uncanny relates to works of art, I feel that the pieces I remember the most vividly resonate within me on a kind of deeper level. They can burn a certain image into my mind for years to come or recall my own life experiences, whether they be positive or negative. These works have a life of their own and often cause us to question tightly-held beliefs or ways of seeing the world around us. It also makes me look at my own work differently and think about how it can affect others in a similar manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment