External Sources - Nick Biewer

This article explained the use of external sources to spark inspiration for artworks. The artists in this article each use a different style of external sourcing to construct into a piece of work. Some take one idea and build upon that single source, while some take pieces from many different external sources and combine them. External sourcing helps create art that not only the maker can relate to, but also the viewer. Some straight internal works are hard for the viewer to break down because they can’t relate to the work at all. A lot of my works start off with an external source as an outlining factor. I keep an idea in my head of something I want to produce for a while until I can visualize exactly how it’s going to come out, then begin putting it together. However, sometimes I just take a photograph I have taken or one that I enjoy and sit and manipulate and try to make it into something that I find interesting. I use internal sourcing while putting the works together but they mostly start off as external.

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    Are there other ways in which you start your investigations/inspiration from external sources...? I'm wondering if you experience any response to formal concerns, like color, shape, composition when brainstorming - or if that's all much further in the process....?

    ReplyDelete