Danielle Kuhn

I didn’t find the external sourcing article to be much different from the internal sourcing article. The main differences were that it lacked an introduction and that it discussed different artists. I don’t find it important to dissect whether inspiration is internal or external. I don’t think it is possible to have inspiration that isn’t a little bit of both. For example, if an artist were to depict a dream they had, while that would be an internal inspiration according to the article, dreams are related to external events. If another artist were to make a political statement, the article would state this is an external source. I don’t think it is solely external though since their political views are based on their morals. Whatever someone believes in is a very intimate and internal source. Any artwork could be explained just the right way to show it was born from either external sourcing or internal sourcing.
I often think that artists of all kinds can be too quick to compare something to Nazi Germany. It can become cliche in some cases. This is why I feel a little conflicted when reading about Scott Greiger. I do like his general idea of taking collected images and manipulating them to “un-brainwash the people.” His ideas of corporate America’s power over the people, and their ability to control and also stimulate is scarily true. I think he brings together some really great themes that may seem unrelated at first to make a strong statement. We have looked at William Kentridge’s artwork in other classes, I still think he has some amazingly beautiful artwork. He realized at a young age that inconceivable things happen in the world. He also makes political statements but brings the psychological and emotional aspects to the forefront. I find Chris Ofilli’s article humorous to read. He brings up some serious subjects such as sensitivity to African Americans and religion, but does it with an understated sense of humor. I feel like he is teasing the viewer in a sense to see how seriously they’ll take him. I absolutely love Hubert Duprat’s work with caddis flies. I’m very interested in natural history, so mixing that with art history is very exciting to see. Thomas Joshua Cooper doesn’t excite me as much because I feel like he is too strict in his artwork. Commemorating a historical event by photographing the location where it took place is a wonderful idea. The way he describes not caring about the sky and how he knows enough to only take one picture sounds stubborn to me. I suppose you could say I respect his artwork but not his attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment