Whitney Museum(Jeff Barnard)

When I first got in to the museum, I went to see that art film about an airplane trip on the first floor. The animation of the piece was very basic and the sounds were typical airport noises. But I felt the narration of the piece was very well done with the animation matching the sounds we heard. This seems, though basic in nature, that it would of taken a lot of time to get it nailed down correctly. After that, we went on to the 3rd floor where there was paintings from various artists.


One such artist was O'Keefe who made a lot of flower art and had it displayed throughout the 3rd floor. In all of them, there was vibrant color ranging from reds to blues and even colors in between. But he often seemed to use a close up on the staymin of the flower as though he was saying it was the most important part to him. Was he trying to send a message through his art be it sexual or not? I'm still not sure to this day.

My next venture was the video called "Rock My Religion" where the goal of the piece was to sugguest that music, particlarly Rock and Roll, was an art form. It seemed to say that music was an experiment in conceptual art and was used for different purposes such as religion and politics. I've never really thought of music in that way because to me music was just something to listen to and enjoy. Although, I do notice that throughout history music has reflected the cultural theme of the time it was made in. In the end, the trip was a bit of a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment