response to sourcing/katie mccue

In reading this article, it was fascinating to tap into three well-known artists sources of inspiration. It is not everyday that someone researching different artists are able to find the connection of inspiration for their works of art. With these different artists came three very different ways to utilize their emotions, feelings, experiences, and passions. I very much enjoyed reading into how and why these artists create what they do. The articles gave a bit of insight to their backgrounds, along with different life situations that may have shaped the artist they are today. These artists’ works differed greatly from medium to the way they became inspired to create such pieces.

What I found to be most interesting about this reading was really figuring out where my inspiration came from and possibly why. Like the first artists, Jan Harrison, I have always felt a connection with nature and animals. It was fascinating to see her work and how she taps into her animalistic nature so frequently when creating. By continually stirring up the animal tongue, she further immersed herself into her passion and inspiration. I feel that although I have always felt a connection with nature, I know it is not my continual or main source of inspiration like Harrison. I find that with my photography or drawing, for example, I tend to turn towards humans and the human body for inspiration and motivation in what I create. The human body is so complex and beautiful, and is so amazingly different from person to person I photograph. Human nature and daily events in my life tend to inspire me and also, what I gravitate towards. I have this great desire to travel and photograph people and communities outside of my population and usual travels. My inspiration comes from not only the people in my life and whomever I may come across, but in people I have no yet met. It sounds weird to say that, but I know there are more people that I am meant to come across and meet. I enjoy the fact that photography connects me to strangers, people I have never met before but instantly create a bond, even if they are not aware of such a relationship. It excites me to no end that there are so many people to met and photograph, along with learning about their stories and lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment