Jess G - External Sourcing

External sourcing is something that I typically use in conjunction with internal sourcing. I think is it hard to believe you can have one without the other. However, in my opinion, finding oneself in an external context takes something extraordinary. Like the artists in the article, a person must be extremely driven by an external source to produce a body of work from it. In some way all the artists in the article have a passion, a cause they have taken up or a truth they feel the need to reveal. It takes a lot of dedication to push those sorts of issues. I feel that in my own work, I am normally influenced externally by sights and sounds such as music, nature, landscapes and wind. I feel that I tend to be more internally driven, but after reading this article, I can see how being out and about taking in the world could be a good way to jump start my brain. In the future, I will be more aware of my surroundings. I think it would be good for me to feel a better connection to the outside world, perhaps in a way I have not felt before.

1 comment:

  1. Jess,
    Good observation about your own process in relationship to external....another min-assignment you could consider is to use a news story or another piece of art as your focus to make a new work

    ReplyDelete