Jess Adamitis Reading 3 Response

I found both Hubert Duprat and Thomas Joshua Cooper very interesting to read about and to view works from. I really enjoyed Duprat's sculptures and their primitive style. The caddis fly pieces I found most enjoyable. Just the idea of using the natural instincts of the insect's cocoon making, and altering it in a conceptual way it intriguing. It is like a small ballet that the caddis flies are performing. It is an idea I have never explored or have even thought of and it definitely has expanded my thoughts on the matter of performance. The fact that Duprat does not sell the final cocoon is also something that pleases me. It allows people to focus on the act of making the cocoon rather that the appealing finished piece.

Thomas Joshua Cooper captured my attention while I was looking at his photos online because unfortunately the paper print outs are not dependable for viewing a piece. I noticed that one of his pictures is one that I have for my laptop wallpaper and I have always loved it. I really like Cooper's photos because of their immense depth and detail. They are simple and soft as well as detailed and sharp. With many of his photos there is a feeling of this dreamy, lonely, and still world that is not our own. I say not our own because so much of our world is all about the fast pace and industrialization.

No comments:

Post a Comment