Plato, The Allegory of the Cave: Dan McCafferty

Plato says that “the world revealed by our senses is not the real world but a poor copy of it, and that the real world can only be apprehended intellectually.” I feel that this quote is a good summary of what Plato is trying to describe in this dialogue. These men trapped in this cave never experience life outside of the cave. Plato is describing the philosophy of moving onto better or coming from dark to light. The journey is more than it physical one, but a mental challenge as well.
Overall I feel that Plato is trying to make a metaphor of our lives. The cave represents what we are not seeing as well as the shadows. The shackles are there to show us that we did this to ourselves. I didn’t enjoy the Allegory of the Cave so much because it was a proposal and an opinion on life. It felt very depressing and to me; I see life is how you make it. It doesn’t have to be lies or false. I interpreted it as the men in the cave were everyday people while the men outside of the cave were very knowledgeable. I do agree in what some of the dialogue examines, and that is that everyone creates his or her own reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment